BrowserStack is a Cloud service that allows easy manual and automated testing using various types of browsers and real mobile devices.
Although the fees are reasonable and there is an extensive range of features, test execution may take longer than other services due to the devices being completely cleared for each test case.
Compatible models/OS version
You can check this here.
- The Android lineup is relatively small.
- The iOS version can only be specified in terms of major versions
- Example: “iOS 14” can be specified, rather than “iOS14.5”.
Method of use
First, register for an account by clicking the FREE TRIAL button on the BrowserStack home page. If you click the account activation email that is sent to you, you will be taken to the product selection screen shown in figure 1, so select APP AUTOMATE. At this point, your free trial shall begin, and this allows you to run automated app tests of 100 minutes.
Figure 1 BrowserStack Product Selection Screen
Next, on the test batch execution screen, enter the required items as shown in figure 2.
Figure 2 BrowserStack test execution settings
 Username/Access Key
Open Username and Access Keys (figure 3), which is on the left side of the APP AUTOMATE product screen, and copy Username and Access Key, respectively.
Figure 3 Username and Access Keys
Specify the version and model name you wish to use, with reference to the BrowserStack Version/Model List Page (figure 4).
Figure 4 Version/Model List
In addition to the MagicPod test results screen, you can also confirm the test results on the BrowserStack screen. On this screen, you can view real-time logs of tests that are currently being run and videos of tests that have already been completed. (figure 5)
Figure 5 BrowserStack test results screen
Command line execution
Using this method, you can batch run tests from the command line.
Batch test execution for multiple types of devices
Using here method, you can run tests as a batch for multiple types of devices.
- You cannot operate the iOS Settings app.
- When running iOS push notification tests, the Enterprise Deployment ipa file needs to be used. (Reference)
- If Japanese characters are included in the test case name or batch execution setting name, they will not be displayed in the test result name on the BrowserStack web console.
- The newer the OS version or model of a device is, the more stably and quickly it works.
The following problems may occur when running tests on BrowserStack.
- It has been confirmed that in some Android devices, the Google account status is not set up correctly and functions using Google Account and Firebase do not work properly. Requests are currently being made to MagicPod support to rectify this problem.
- For iOS13 series Xcode version 10.1 devices, there may be cases in which elements cannot be properly located. Requests are currently being made to MagicPod support to rectify this problem.